Labels

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Taking a Look Back: Doctor Who Season 1

It took me seven years to finally see what this whole craze is about. Actually, I was firmly resisting the suggestions of many people in my life saying that I had to watch Doctor Who. I usually used the normal excuses: not enough time, too many TV shows I already watched...the norm. And then last week happened.

I sat down with two of my friends and watched an episode from season six. One of my main reasons for not watching the show was that I hate, hate, hate how British cinematography looks. To my surprise, it didn't look British at all and it was nowhere near as corny as it usually looks. Was I hooked? No. Was I intrigued? More than I expected to be.

Over the past week I've nestled myself into my bed and watched endless hours of Netflix. There were episodes I liked. There were episodes that I was laughing because of how much I couldn't take it serious. Overall though, very decent television. I will definitely tune in for season 2. (Once again on Netflix.)

My favorite episode by far was The Doctor Dances. The line that the Doctor delivers at the end. "Not today! Today, everyone wins!" almost brought tears to my eyes. Christopher Eccelston is a fabulous actor. It's sad that he only was on the show for one season, but I'm sure I'll come to love David Tennant in the same way. But there was a suave, cocky, arrogant fashion in Eccleston that I came to like a lot.

When I met the first Dalek I was also impressed. Such a great idea -- the last of the Doctor's nemesis and he was able to mature and really come to give it a second chance. Truly great creatures. And I hoped that would also be the last we saw of the Daleks. Sadly, it looks like we'll have them around for a while. One, I could handle. Millions? For me, that was overkill.

Billie Piper pleasantly surprised me as the season went on. She started out an annoying brat that I really hoped wouldn't last more than one season. She quickly evolved into a brave, reliable woman that the Doctor knew he could trust. Also, her acting improved immensely. And if you've seen her teenage pop videos from the early 90s, you know there was serious work to be done.

I'd suggest anyone check it out if you like sci-fi and have some time on your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment